From Distressed to Influential
Read Jonah 3
1. Jonah is still reluctant about his mission but God still uses him! How does this both challenge and encourage you as you seek to serve Jesus?
2. These passages model three aspects of repentance:
- Sorrowful mourning over sin (vv. 5-8a)
- Turning from sin (v. 8)
- Turning to God in faith (vv. 8-9)
3. Which of these do you find most difficult?
4. Why is it important to includes all three of these elements (i.e. what would be missing if one of them was left out)?
5. The people of Nineveh were incredibly violent and hateful but God shows them mercy rather than holding their sins against them. How does this point us to Jesus? (Mark 2:13-17)
6. Who would you consider to be the modern-day ‘Ninevites’? Do you long for God to show them grace and forgive them? What might your response to that question reveal about you?
- Give thanks that we serve a God of second chances. Ask him to help you to be increasingly amazing by his grace rather than take it for granted.
- Pray for God to help you show grace to the ‘Ninevites’ you mentioned earlier. Ask him to show them grace and save them, just as he saved Nineveh.