Good News in Difficult Times
Read Jonah 2
1. What do you see in this prayer? A psalm of thanksgiving? A call for help? Recommitment?
2. What do you make of the fact that Jonah prays “inside the fish” and uses verbs in the past tense, as though God had already answered his prayer?
3. While Jonah may be safe for the moment, how is he still in deep trouble? Where does he show assurance of deliverance in spite of appearances to the contrary (vv. 4,6-7,9)?
4. Compare verse 3 with 1:15. How does Jonah view circumstances? God’s control? God’s purposes?
5. When have you felt like Jonah—far from God, enmeshed in a situation beyond your control? How then was your life brought “up from the pit”?
6. Where in your life are you desperate enough to pray with hope, as Jonah does?